GREETINGS OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS!
WE ARE SENDING THIS INFORMATION TO THOSE WHO MAY BE VISITING THE RANCH THIS YEAR. IT IS OUR HOPE THAT THIS INFORMATION WILL HELP MAKE YOUR EXPERIENCE MORE ENJOYABLE!
SHOOTING STIX CAN ENHANCE YOUR CHANCES OF SUCCESS FOR DEER AND ANTELOPE. PRACTICE SHOTS FROM THE KNEELING AND SITTING POSITIONS CAN BE HELPFUL WITH AND WITHOUT THE USE OF THE SHOOTING STIR. RIFLE RANGE IS AVAILABLE FOR YOU TO CHECK YOUR RIFLES PRIOR TO YOUR HUNT. BRING EXTRA AMMO FOR SIGHTING YOUR GUNS IN. RIFLES ZEROED IN FOR 200 OR 250 YARDS SHOULD ALLOW YOU TO KEEP THE CROSSHAIRS ON THE ANIMAL FOR MOST SHOTS. WHEN USING VARIABLE SCOPES WE SUGGEST YOU KEEP THE POWER DOWN TO GIVE YOU A BETTER FIELD OF VISION. IF MORE POWER IS NEEDED AND TIME PERMITS YOU CAN INCREASE THE POWER AFTER THE ANIMAL IS IN YOUR SIGHTS
ARCHERY HUNTERS MUST PURCHASE A $10 ARCHERY LICENSE BEFORE HUNTING. ANY PREVIOUS YEAR'S ARCHERY LICENSE FROM ANY STATE MUST BE PRESENTED TO PURCHASE A MONTANA LICENSE. THIS LICENSE CAN BE PURCHASED FROM ANY LICENSE AGENT IN MONTANA OR ONLINE BY GOING TO www.fwp.mt.gov AND FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS.
ANY TREE STANDS YOU MAY OPT TO USE MUST ACCOMMODATE OUR LARGE COTTONWOOD TREES WITH MANY BRANCHES.
ARCHERY AND RIFLE ANTELOPE HUNTERS
WE ADVISE YOU TO WEAR LEATHER GLOVES. A SMALL ROLL OF DUCT TAPE OR KNEE AND ELBOW PADS IS OPTIONAL. FULL LEATHER BOOTS ARE BEST AS CACTUS GOES THRU CORDURA.
ARCHERY WHITETAIL HUNTERS
WE SUGGEST WEARING A PAIR OF SCENT FREE OR RUBBER BOOTS AS WELL AS THE USE OF A URINE BOTTLE. WHITETAIL HUNTING IS PRIMARILY DONE FROM TREE STANDS. WE PREFER NOT TO FIELD DRESS WHITETAIL DEER AT THE HARVEST SITE.
ELK, MULE DEER, WHITETAIL DEER, AND ANTELOPE ARCHERY HUNTERS SHOULD PRACTICE INSTINCTIVE DISTANCE CALCULATIONS AND SHOTS FROM STANDING, KNEELING AND SITTING (IN A TREE STAND)
POSITIONS. SHOOT WITH YOUR FACEMASK ON.
SUGGESTED HUNTING SUPPLIES
• GREEN CAMO WORKS WELL
• ANY NEW SAGE CAMO WORKS WELL IN OPEN AND SAGEBRUSH AREAS
• FACE MASKS, NET, OR CAMO PAINT
• SCENTS AND COVER-UPS OF YOUR CHOICE
• GAME BAG, LIGHT NYLON CORD
• EXTRA RELEASE OR TAB IF USED
• EXTRA BOWSTRING AND ACCESSORIES
• BOW CASE (HARD OR SOFT USED TO TRANSPORT BOW IN VEHICLE)
• RANGE FINDER (OPTIONAL)
• CAMO NETTING FOR GROUND BLIND (SMALL ENOUGH TO FIT IN PACK)
• SAFETY HARNESS FOR TREE STANDS
SUGGESTED PERSONAL ITEMS
• 'SCENT LOCK (FOUND TO BE OF VALUE TO ANY HUNTER USING TREE STANDS OR GROUND BLINDS)
• SPOTTING SCOPE (OPTIONAL)
• SLEEPING BAG AND PILLOW (CALL IF FLYING FOR SPECIAL ARRANGEMENTS)
• TOWEL AND WASHCLOTH NEEDED IN SPIKE CAMP
• SMALL FLASHLIGHT (KEEP ON PERSON AT ALL TIMES)
• COMPASS OR GPS
• SMALL FIRST AID KIT
• DAY OR FANNY PACK (USED FOR DAILY NECESSITIES)
• A SOFT CASE FOR RIFLES IS USEFUL TO PREVENT SCRATCHES AND KEEP MUZZLE CLEAN WHILE HUNTING FROM VEHICLES.
WEATHER CAN VARY FROM WARM, WET TO SNOWY CONDITIONS. WEARING LAYERED CLOTHING WORKS WELL. RAIN GEAR AND WATERPROOF FOOTWEAR IS ADVISABLE.
MONTANA RIFLE SEASON REQUIRES WEARING 400 SQUARE INCHES OF HUNTER ORANGE ABOVE THE WAIST.
A VEST LARGE ENOUGH TO GO OVER YOUR COAT WORKS WELL.
THERE IS A LOCAL MEAT PROCESSOR WHO CAN CUT, WRAP, AND FREEZE YOUR GAME. YOU ARE WELCOME TO CUT YOUR OWN GAME AT THE RANCH IF YOU LIKE.
WE WILL DELIVER TROPHIES TO THE LOCAL TAXIDERMIST. THE TAXIDERMIST WILL DO ANY CAPING, MOUNTING AND SHIPPING. FOR THOSE WHO WISH TO TAKE HEADS HOME, I WOULD BE HAPPY TO FREEZE THEM FOR YOU. WE CHOOSE NOT TO CAPE OR TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY HEADS THAT ARE NOT LEFT WITH THE LOCAL TAXIDERMIST.
ANY MEAT LEFT FOR DONATION MUST BE CUT AND WRAPPED AT THE LOCAL PROCESSOR OR MONEY LEFT TO DO SO.
WE CAN RECEIVE OR SHIP ANY EXTRA GEAR (AT YOUR EXPENSE) VIA UPS OR FEDEX.
WIFI IS AVAILABLE AT RANCH HEADQUARTERS.
REMEMBER: BILLINGSLEY RANCH OUTFITTERS HUNTING PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE LICENSES, MEAT PROCESSING, TAXIDERMY, SHIPPING OR GRATUITIES.
EVIDENCE REQUIRED OF GAME ANIMAL'S SEX AND SPECIES
• It is illegal to possess or transport the carcass of any big game animal unless
evidence of the animal's sex and species remains naturally attached to its carcass or a portion of the carcass.
• Evidence of an animal's sex and species must remain naturally attached to the carcass:
• is at the final place of storage; or
• Cut and wrapped in serving size; or
• Is at commercial meat processing facility; or
• Is at licensed taxidermist
• If the head or antlers are removed, evidence of sex in the form of testicles, penis, scrotum, udder or vulva must remain naturally attached. For example,
boned out or quartered animals need evidence of sex naturally attached to a portion of the meat.
The following are not considered a hunting bow or legal archery equipment during the Archery Only Season or in an ArchEquip Only area or hunting district:
Archery & Crossbow Equipment
• Any device with a gun-type stock or incorporating any device or mechanism that holds the bowstring at partial or full draw without 'he shooter's muscle power.
• Any bow for which a portion of tyre bow's riser (handle) or any track, trough, channel, or other device that attaches directly to the bow's riser contacts, supports, and/or guides the arrow from a point rearward of the bow's brace height. This s not intended to restrict the use of standard overdraw systems.
• Electronic or battery-powered devices attached to a hunting bow.
• A bow sight or arrow which uses artificial light, luminous chemicals such as tritium, or electronics.
• Archery Only Season and in archery equipment only areas.
• It is unlawful to use any chemical or explosive device attached to an arrow to aid in the taking of wildlife.
• Lawful Archery Equipment: It is illegal to possess, while hunting big game during any Archery Only Season and in archery equipment only areas, archery equipment that does not meet the following criteria.
• Hunting Bow: A hunting bow for big game shall be a longbow, flatbow, recurve bow, compound bow, or any combination of these designs.
• The bow must be a device for launching an arrow, which derives its propulsive energy solely from the bending and recovery of two limbs (includes bows with split limbs).
• The bow must be hand drawn by a single and direct uninterrupted pulling action of the shooter. The bowstring must be moved from brace height to the full draw position by the muscle power of the shooter's body. The energy used to propel the arrow shall not be derived from any other source such as hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical, or similar devices. These limitations shall not exclude the mechanical leverage advantage provided by eccentric wheels or cams, so long as the available energy stored in the bent limbs of the bow is the sole result of a single, continuous, and direct pulling effort by the shooter.
• The bow must be hand-held. One hand shall hold the bow and the other hand draw the bowstring. The bowstring must be moved and/or held at all points in the draw cycle entirely by muscle power of the shooter until release. The bowstring must be released as a direct and conscious action of the shooter, either relaxing the tension of the fingers or triggering the release action of a hand-held release aid.
• Exception: Physically disabled bowhunters certified by FWP with the Permit To Modify Archery Equipment (PMAE) are exempted from the requirement of holding or shooting the bow with their hands.
• The bow shall be no shorter than 28 inches measured axle to axle.
• The nominal percent of let-off for hunting bows shall be a maximum of 80 percent. It is recognized that variations in draw length and/or draw weight can affect the percent of let-off on compound bows. For these reasons minor variations in let-off are acceptable.
• Arrow: An arrow is a projectile at least 20 inches in overall length. The length of the arrow is measured from the rearward point of the nock to the tip of the broadhead.
• A broadhead is mounted on the fore end.
• The arrow shall weigh no less than 300 grains with the broadhead attached.
• Arrows must have broadheads with at least two cutting edges. Expandable broadheads are legal as long as when expanded they are at least 7/8 inches at the widest point, and weigh no less than 70 grains.
ALWAYS KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION
ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO SHOOT
BE SURE THE GUN IS SAFE TO OPERATE
USE ONLY THE CORRECT AMMUNITION FOR YOUR GUN
KNOW YOUR TARGET AND WHAT LIES BEYOND
WEAR EYE AND EAR PROTECTION AS APPROPRIATE
NEVER USE ALCOHOL OR DRUGS BEFORE OR WHILE SHOOTING
STORE GUNS SO THEY ARE NOT ACCESSIBLE TO UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS
"ALWAYS KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION." THIS SEEMS SIMPLE ENOUGH BUT REPEATED VIOLATIONS CONTRIBUTE TO 99 PERCENT OF "ACCIDENTAL" GUN DEATHS IN THE NATION.
WHAT THIS MEANS IS: NEVER LET THE BUSINESS END OF ANY GUN -- LOADED OR UNLOADED - POINT AT ANYONE OR ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A DESIGNATED TARGET!
THANKS SO MUCH AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO VISITING WITH YOU AT RANCH HEADQUARTERS!
Map to Billingsley Ranch Outfitters: Arriving from the East
Map to Billingsley Ranch Outfitters: Arriving from the West
Billingsley Ranch Outfitters: Regional Map